Google releases ‘Featured Photos Screensaver’ app – Mac
Beautiful photos for your computer and phone
From striking skylines to captivating vistas, talented photographers share beautiful, eye catching work on Google+ every day. To bring these photos to a wider audience, we’ve long showcased a selection of them on TVs and monitors around the world via Google Fiber and millions of Chromecast devices.
Now, we’re pleased to be able to make these beautiful photos by our members even more accessible by bringing them to your computers and phones. With our new Featured Photos screensaver for Mac, you can display stunning, high-resolution photography from our Google+ members whenever your computer is inactive. If you have an Android device, you can use the Wallpapers app to display these same photos as background images on your home or lock screen. The photos are attributed to their photographers so it’s easy to find and follow the ones you like on Google+.
Photos featured as background images on Google
If you shared a photo publicly, it may be featured as a temporary background display on select Google products. We’ll let you know via email if one of your photos gets featured.
Where your photo might appear
People might see your photo as a background on some Google products, such as:
- Google Fiber
- Device wallpapers
Which photos get featured
Your photo has a higher chance of being featured if it’s popular on Google+, which can mean getting a lot of +1s, reshares, and comments. Photos that are featured must:
- have been publicly shared on Google+
- be in landscape orientation (not portrait)
- have at least a resolution of 1920 x 1080p
- not feature people
- not have text or watermarks
- be posted by the original owner
Don’t want your photos featured?
By default, your publicly shared photos may be featured as background images on Google products. You can choose to not have your photos be featured by changing this setting using a computer or mobile browser.
- Go to the Google+ settings page.
- Scroll to the Photos and Videos section.
- Check the box or turn on the option next to “Don’t feature my publicly-shared Google+ photos as background images on Google products & services.” If this setting is checked, your photos (including previously featured photos) will not be featured as background images.